Friday, February 12, 2010

Brief Thoughts on the Avatar Soundtrack

I finally saw Avatar in IMAX yesterday and had a chance to bend ear to Horner's score. In a phrase, it is the best and worst of Horner I've heard in a while. On one hand, it was pure orchestral bliss, with the action cues and ethnic instrumentation taking center stage and just rocking it. On the other hand, GOOD LORD, THE FOUR NOTE MOTIF. I'd love to play a drinking game for every time I heard that tired old chestnut, though I imagine things would get really hairy around "The Destruction of Hometree." If you've never heard a James Horner score before, you'll be blown away. For the rest of us, if you can get around the (sometimes inordinate amount of) self-plagiarism, you'll find the occasional stellar cue.

 - 'Till Next Time, Soundtrack Fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment